"If I could tell the story in words I wouldn't need to lug around a camera." - Lewis Hine
Wednesday, April 14, 2010
35mm Film SLR Camera vs D-SLR Camera
Just recently I found my dad's old Minolta 35mm SLR camera. It is my new pride and joy! I absolutly love it. I've never been very involved with photography in the past. I mean I take pictures with a digital camera that is less than good quality and its mostly of just friends being wild, but with this camera I feel like I can do so much more. I try to capture moments of beauty in my eyes as corny as that sounds. I love the different features that I can mess around with like shutterspeed and apperture. It's definitly a fun new hobby that I've found. But the problem is the world of technology has spoiled me. With a digital camera you can take the photo, review it, put it on your computer, tamper with it, and come out with a completely different picutre than what you started with. With a 35mm camera, you take a picture and hope that you had your settings right, you didn't move the camera, and that it's a clear picutre. Then you have to wait until your film roll is done and take it to somewhere that can develop them which is a difficulty in itself to find someone who still develops it. Some people get them developed into prints but with that you get prints that may have turned out awful or you just don't like them and it's rather expensive to get just one roll developed. I like to have them put my pictures on a cd so that I can put them on the computer and toy with them and then have the ones that I like printed. It's cheaper this way too. But not as cheap and convenient as having a Digital D-SLR camera. Although they pose to be steep in price, they appear to be a better photography buy in the long run. In the future I would like to look into purchasing one of these cameras but as for now I'm quite happy with my 35mm film camera. After this assignment is over I plan on using this blog as a photography blog where I'll post my recent photos that I've taken. So keep scoping out my blog and let me know what you think!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Yay! A fellow 35mm Film SLR lover! I have been interested in photography for many years and I also consider it a hobby. I took two classes in photography in high school and I absolutely loved them! I love the uniqueness of 35mm film. Anybody can pick up a modern digital camera and take a picture, but it takes artistic thought when you shoot with film. I agree that modern technology and convenience once again prevails over "old-school" methods of taking pictures and communicating. In some ways it is really nice to be able to see a picture you just took, but new technology is not always the most artistically appeasing. Technology is such a huge part of our lives that we sometimes forget about the simple way of doing things. Technology is a great thing, but sometimes old-school is best!
ReplyDelete